Social assistance is given with discretion
Reasons for granting social assistance
If you or your family have more eligible expenses than income, you will be granted social assistance.
Sometimes the basic social assistance is not enough. You may then be eligible for supplementary social assistance. There may be a number of reasons for granting income support:
- Social assistance will help you pay for childcare fees or your children’s leisure time activities.
- You may have extra housing expenses, for example, when you move house.
- You have to pay many fees because you have been ill for a long time.
You may also receive social assistance for special reasons. For example, you may be in debt or your financial situation has become worse rapidly. In that case, social assistance can help to make your life easier.
Applying for social assistance
If you need social assistance, please get a form from the Refugee Reception. For their contact information, see here.
Apply for social assistance for one month. Fill in the form. In addition, you must give proof of your expenses and income.
Submit the following documents with your application:
- Kela’s decisions
- account statements for all your accounts
- account statements for your family members
- receipt that you paid the rent and the water charge
- receipt that you have paid the electricity bill
- receipt that you have paid for home insurance
- receipt that you bought vitamin D
- receipt of prescription medicines that you have purchased
- receipts that prove that you have purchased medicines for children
- payroll statement
- proposed tax
- medical, dental and physiotherapy charges.
If the bank does not send an account statement to you by post, print it yourself. You can also request an account statement from the bank.
Please note that social assistance does not pay for private medical care. If you have asked your doctor for a certificate for a driving licence, social assistance will not pay for it.
Return the form and documents to the Refugee Reception. For their contact information, see.
If you are granted social assistance, it will be paid to your bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you will receive a money order. Bring it to Kastelli’s checkout and get your money from there.
For more information about social assistance, see.
Social assistance calculation
Before social assistance is granted, a calculation is made, that is, the amount of your income and eligible expenses.
Income and assets
We will first sum all your family’s income and assets. Income includes, for example, Kela benefits while assets include savings or car.
If someone in your family earns income, 20% of earned income is excluded from the calculation. If the earnings are high, no more than EUR 150 is excluded. Earned income includes:
- self-employed income
- carer’s allowance.
The statutory amount is deducted from the income and assets. The statutory amount is the sum of money estimated to be enough for one month’s:
- food shopping
- clothes shopping
- small health care expenses
- personal hygiene expenses
- home cleaning
- paper and magazine subscriptions
- phone bill
- leisure activities and recreation.
If you have other expenses that are thought necessary, they will also be deducted from income and assets. The necessary expenses include, for example, rent, electricity and large amounts of health care expenses.
How fast will you receive the decision?
When you submit an application, the social worker will take no longer than seven working days to make the decision. If your application is urgent, you will receive a decision no later than on the following working day.
If you want to talk to a social worker, you will be booked an appointment within the seven working days.
You will receive the social assistance decision in writing.
If you are not satisfied with the decision, you can appeal. The decision explains how you can appeal.
- مجموعة القراءة "JUTTUJA SUOMEST" (اشياء حول فنلند) 17.6.2019
- KELA’S NEW DISCUSSION FORUM ”ASK ABOUT INTERNATIONAL SITUATIONS” IS NOW OPEN 14.6.2019
- Reading group ”Juttuja Suomesta” (Things about Finland) 14.6.2019
- Somalinkielinen puhelinpalvelu palvelee pian valtakunnallisesti 10.6.2019
- ELECTRIC BIKES 10.6.2019
- Lammille ja Hauholle rakennetaan heinäkuussa frisbeegolfradat 17.06.2019
- Waltin myyntiverkosto laajenee Hämeenlinnassa 17.06.2019
- Hämeenlinnan pendelöintikysely ja pendelöintiraadin kokoontuminen 17.06.2019
- Avustusten ja minipilottien toimintamalli uudistuu 14.06.2019
- Luvassa runsas tapahtumaviikonloppu 13.06.2019