Instructions for persons placed in quarantine at home
If the infectious disease physician has placed you in quarantine due to exposure to the coronavirus, you will have to restrict your daily activities until your doctor or nurse tells you otherwise.
Stay at home, do not visit other people and do not invite anyone to your home. Your nurse or doctor will monitor your health as needed through phone calls during the quarantine.
Please note that breaking quarantine is punishable by law. Any person who commits a health protection violation may be sentenced to a fine or to imprisonment for a maximum of three months (Criminal Code of Finland, chapter 44, section 2).
During quarantine ordered by the infectious disease physician, you are not allowed to:
- Go to work.
- Go to school or other places of study.
- Go to shops, shopping centres or other public places.
- Go to a swimming pool or other sports facilities.
- Go to other recreational facilities.
- Go to theatres, cinemas, restaurants or bars.
- Use public transport such as trains, buses or taxis.
- Invite people to your home or visit other people.
- Hire a cleaner or other people to work at your home.
- Sleep alone in a separate room.
- Air the room every morning and evening for at least 15 minutes by opening the window.
- If you live with people who have been infected, avoid unnecessary close contact with them.
- Cover your mouth and nose properly with a disposable tissue when you cough or sneeze. Ifyou do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not into your hand. Place the tissue into a plastic bag immediately after use and close the bag and/or put it in a wastecontainer.
- Wash your hands with water and soap and/or use hand sanitiser.
- Wash your dishes as usual.
- Wash your clothes and bed linen in the washing machine according to their normalinstructions.
- You can clean your home as usual, but you are not allowed to ask someone else to clean yourhome. We recommend that you use a HEPA filter in your vacuum cleaner.
- Clean thoroughly refrigerator doors, remote controls and other surfaces that people touchoften.
- Clean any stains that contain body fluids (such as vomit and sputum) with a chlorinateddisinfectant. The concentration of the solution should be 500 ppm. Read the dilutioninstructions on the label of the disinfectant bottle.
Outside your home
- You may spend time on your balcony or outdoors near your home, but you are not allowed tobe in direct contact with people who do not share a home with you.
- If you have pets that need to be walked, you should preferably ask someone who is not inquarantine to do it, especially if you live in an urban area. You can also ask someone else totake care of your pets while you are in quarantine. Otherwise you can walk your pets as longas you avoid direct contact with other people.
- Ask someone else, who is not in quarantine, to bring you groceries.
- You can also use an online service to have food delivered to your home. However, rememberthat you have to avoid contact with the delivery person during payment and delivery.
- Infectious disease allowance compensates for the loss of income if the infectious disease physician has placed you in quarantine or isolation. You may also receive infectious disease allowance if you cannot go to work because your child under the age of 16 has been placed in quarantine. Apply for infectious disease allowance through Kela. To submit an application, you need a written quarantine decision or a medical certificate A provided by the infectious disease physician. Infectious disease allowance is not paid to persons in self-quarantine. Read more about the infectious disease allowance and how to apply for it on the Kela website
- If you need an ambulance during quarantine, tell the dispatcher that you are in quarantine when you call the emergency response centre.
If you get symptoms
The symptoms of the coronavirus disease include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath, loss of smell/taste and diarrhoea/abdominal pain without an apparent cause.
If you have any symptoms of the coronavirus disease, If you have any symptoms, call your health center during its opening hours or do the self-assessment test at the website www.omaolo.fi. Outside the opening hours of your health center, please call the Medical Helpline, tel. 116 117.