- Everyday life in Finland
- Basic information about finland
- Finnish adminstration
- State administration
- Your right and obligations in Finland
- Finnish climate
- Finnish holidays
- Finnish customs
- Finnish food culture
- Welcome to Finland! Orientation game for new immigrants
A common-law relationship is a relationship where spouses live together but are not married to each other. In Finland, beginning a common-law relationship, the rules of the relationship and ending the relationship, are each couple’s own private affair. Common-law relationships are not registered anywhere.
Unlike in marriage
- a common-law husband and wife have no maintenance liability to each other
- they do not inherit from each other
- a common-law husband or wife cannot receive the surviving spouse’s pension if their partner dies
You can adopt a common last name if
- you have children together or
- you have lived together for at least five years
If you want to have a common last name, send an application for a change of name to the Local Registry Office.
Information on matters related to children of parents who are in a common-law relationship is available here
If you and your partner permanently live in the same accommodation, you belong to the same household. This is significant, for example, when applying for housing allowance from Kela.
Read more about common-law relationship here.
Read more about housing allowance for unmarried cohabitants on the InfoFinland web page Housing allowance.
A common-law relationship entered into abroad
A common-law relationship can be a basis for getting a residence permit. The authorities always consider the granting of a residence permit case-specifically.
- Finnish language learning clubs – autumn 2020 17.09.2020
- Hobbies in Hämeenlinna AUTUMN 2020 07.09.2020
- The distribution of face masks has started in Hämeenlinna 20.08.2020
- Job for sewers 18.08.2020
- Pre-primary education and basic education start on 11 August 2020 18.08.2020
- Public transport and coronavirus 14.08.2020
- Nummen yhtenäiskoulusta ja Kirkonkulman koulusta oppilaita kotikaranteeniin 18.09.2020
- Yleisöluistelu tauolla syyskuun loppuun 18.09.2020
- Kaupungin kotihoidossa koronatartunta 18.09.2020
- Rasti-ARXantai – kaupunkisuunnistusta lapsiperheille 17.09.2020
- Ikäihmisten asumispalvelujen ja kotihoidon asiakastyytyväisyyskysely 2020 17.09.2020