- Everyday life in Finland
- Basic information about finland
- Finnish adminstration
- State administration
- Your right and obligations in Finland
- Finnish climate
- Finnish holidays
- Finnish customs
- Finnish food culture
- Welcome to Finland! Orientation game for new immigrants
A common-law relationship is a relationship where spouses live together but are not married to each other. In Finland, beginning a common-law relationship, the rules of the relationship and ending the relationship, are each couple’s own private affair. Common-law relationships are not registered anywhere.
Unlike in marriage
- a common-law husband and wife have no maintenance liability to each other
- they do not inherit from each other
- a common-law husband or wife cannot receive the surviving spouse’s pension if their partner dies
You can adopt a common last name if
- you have children together or
- you have lived together for at least five years
If you want to have a common last name, send an application for a change of name to the Local Registry Office.
Information on matters related to children of parents who are in a common-law relationship is available here
If you and your partner permanently live in the same accommodation, you belong to the same household. This is significant, for example, when applying for housing allowance from Kela.
Read more about common-law relationship here.
Read more about housing allowance for unmarried cohabitants on the InfoFinland web page Housing allowance.
A common-law relationship entered into abroad
A common-law relationship can be a basis for getting a residence permit. The authorities always consider the granting of a residence permit case-specifically.
- Rowing boats for free use 16.06.2020
- Main City Library in Wetteri closes on 19.6.2020 16.06.2020
- Opening hours during the summer 16.06.2020
- Arjessa Mukana – residents magazine 2/2020 08.06.2020
- Preparatory education for general upper secondary – application until 21.7.2020 04.06.2020
- Give your feedback on the “Hämeenlinna taksussa” mobile app 03.06.2020
- Kuvataiteen päivänä tapahtuu Hattulassa, Hämeenlinnassa ja Janakkalassa 06.07.2020
- Seuraa joukkoliikennettä reaaliajassa puhelimestasi käsin 03.07.2020
- Vähäisiä määriä sinilevää havaittu kahdella uimarannalla 03.07.2020
- POP UP -katutaidepajat nuorille heinäkuussa 01.07.2020
- Ilon aiheeni hämäläisessä arjessa -valokuvakilpailun voittajat on valittu 01.07.2020