- Everyday life in Finland
- Basic information about finland
- Finnish adminstration
- State administration
- Your right and obligations in Finland
- Finnish climate
- Finnish holidays
- Finnish customs
- Finnish food culture
- Welcome to Finland! Orientation game for new immigrants
Equality between men and women
According to Finnish law, men and women have the same rights. Married women also have the same rights as men.
In Finland, it is common that women also work even though they have children. The responsibility for taking care of children and the home belongs to both women and men. Women do not need permission to work or study from their spouse or parents.
Women and men can decide whom they marry. A forced marriage is a crime in Finland. For example, parents do not have the right to force or pressure their child to marry. Both women and men are entitled to file for a divorce. A divorce can also be granted without the consent of the other spouse.
Violence is always a crime in Finland. Violence that occurs in a family and a relationship, such as physical and sexual violence, is always a crime.
More information on violence is available here Violence.
More information on honour related violence is available here Honour related violence.
Equality in working life
Women and men must be treated in the same way in working life. Discrimination on the basis of gender is prohibited. This means, for example, that a higher salary must not be paid to a man compared to a woman on the basis of gender, or a woman employee cannot be discharged because she is pregnant.
The Act on Equality between Women and Men prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender. An Equality Ombudsman (tasa-arvovaltuutettu) is an authority that monitors that the Act on Equality between Women and Men is observed. If you suspect that you have been discriminated against in working life due to gender, you can contact the Equality Ombudsman or your trade union.
More information on equality and equal opportunities in working life is available here.
- Täyskäännöksiä ja uusia aloituksia – Hämeenlinnassa kerätään selviytymistarinoita vertaistueksi yrittäjille 31.03.2020
- Kaupungin alijäämää onnistuttiin pienentämään 31.03.2020
- Kysely huoltajille kouluruokapakettien tarpeesta 31.03.2020
- Suomi ja Hämeenlinna on asettunut poikkeustilaan 30.03.2020
- Uusi aikataulu työllisyyden kuntakokeilulle 30.03.2020