Basic information about Finland
Finland in brief
- Finland is a republic and a member of the European Union (EU).
- The capital of Finland is Helsinki.
- Finland is divided into self-governed municipalities.
- Finland has 5.5 million inhabitants.
- The national languages are Finnish and Swedish (about 5% of Finns speak Swedish as their native language).
- Many Finns speak fluent English.
- Finland is located in North Europe.
- Finland’s neighbouring countries are Russia (east), Norway (north), Sweden (west) and Estonia (south).
- The surface area of Finland is 338,432 km², which includes the land and inland water areas.
- The currency of Finland is the euro.
Creating Finnish welfare
Guide: Welcome to Finland (pdf)